Here are today’s five thing to know about Bagel and Lox:
- The word Bagel is often thought to have derived from the ‘buckle‘ shape it has, but actually it is from a Yiddish word ‘beygl‘ meaning ring or hole.
- Bagels are one of the few breads that are boiled then baked. creating the sought inside while retaining a crisp exterior.
- Over a Billion dollars a year are spent on bagels in the US alone.
- The top selling bagels are Plain(#1), Whole Wheat(#2) and Sesame Seed(#3)
- Originally bagels were baked and sold by street vendors. They would have been carried around on a long string draped over the sellers’ shoulders. (Link to drawing)
What’s a lox? Lox is thinly sliced smoked salmon
Bagel & Lox are typically bagels with cream cheese, onions, and smoked salmon. Other variations often include tomatoes, cucumbers, capers, and/or scrambled eggs
View original post 233 more words