So yesterday I spent the day demolishing my deck for the new one I am starting to build in a few weeks. It was supposed to rain by noon, so my plan was to work outside until the rain started then move inside for work on the blog. Well the rain didn’t start until after 6:00 pm. So I kept working on the deck until 5:30. No blog work, but I still needed to make dinner.
Sunday I had taken some chicken out of the freezer to use this week. I also had cauliflower, mushrooms and fresh corn, that were needing to be cooked, before they found their way to the trash bin. What I came up with was this fairly healthy simple chicken casserole. This is a quick and easy recipe which allows you to substitute whatever items you have in the fridge that are on their last legs.
Makes great leftovers for lunch the next day. Trust me I just had it for lunch.
My kids loved this and didn’t even notice the smashed cauliflower for the bottom crust. Smashed cauliflower adds a nutritious nice flavor to the dish.
- 3 (1.5-2 lbs) chicken breast halves, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup half and half. divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups fresh corn, about 4 ears, boiled
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans 98% Fat Free Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- salt & pepper
- 1 (16.3 oz) can Pillsbury Grand Biscuits, reduced fat
- 2 tbsp Johnny’s Garlic Spread seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Place cauliflower in large pot of boiling salted water. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove cauliflower using strainer or slotted spoon and place in a mixing bowl.
- In same pot, boil corn for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse corn in cold water. Cut corn off cob and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saute pan over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and brown, stirring often. Remove chicken form pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add onion and mushrooms, saute for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Sprinkle onion mixture with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium and add 2 cans of mushroom soup, 1/3 cup half and half, and sour cream. Stir to combine and bring to a slight boil. Add cooked chicken and corn. Mix thoroughly and heat through on low.
- While corn is boiling, combine cauliflower, butter, cheese, salt, pepper and remaining 1/3 half & half. Blend on medium until cauliflower resembles mashed potatoes.
- Grease a 11×15 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread mashed cauliflower in bottom of dish. Layer chicken mixture over cauliflower.
- Split biscuits in half and layer on top of chicken. Sprinkle biscuits with garlic seasoning.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes . Uncover and continue baking, for another ten minutes, until biscuits are browned and sauce is bubbly.